Sunday, June 1, 2008

Lemon Meringue

I was convinced that we would be on that plane to Brussels last night and on my way to Entebbe. I had such high hopes. I was so ready.


Laura and I left our hotel yesterday morning at 11 am, arriving at the airport 6 hours before our scheduled boarding time. We checked in, went through security and waited. We sat at the gate through cloudy skies and light rain. Talks of delays and cancellations brewed but we remained hopeful. Our flight was not for hours, surely it would clear up by then. And it did. The skies cleared. When we arrived at our gate we were joined there by only one other man. In the hours to come, many others would filter in. Around 5:10 there was an announcement made. We would be boarding shortly. This was it it was happening! I called my respective "people" to tell them I was finally on my way.

But wait, there's more! Shortly after this overhead announcement, we were told that the plane was still waiting for the pilot. Our new departure time would be 6:30. Okay, that still gives us an hour an a half to catch our connection. We can make it. Again, such high hopes we had.

We would soon learn (after many excruciating minutes of silent non-news) that we would have a decision on a departure time at 8pm. Two hours after our original time we would "find out more". Well that sealed our fate. We would not make it to Entebbe if we got on the plane to Brussels. We joined the masses of people in line to figure out another option and soon found we were not the only ones on their way to Entebbe. About 15 other people at least were supposed to be on that plane. And the airline could do nothing for us. After at least an hour of searching for another route, we were told the soonest we could get there would be Wednesday morning. So here we are in a hotel again for another two days. Waiting.

Next time we fly we will have a 13 hour layover in London. Hopefully no delay will cause us to miss our flight to Entebbe.

Laura suggested that maybe this was a sign that we should not be going. I have to believe that this is not the case. We just have to jump over a few hurdles to show just how important this trip is to us.

Again, I ask for your safe-travel-please-no-more-delays vibes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy!

I hope you eventually make to Uganda! Sooner, rather than later.

I <3 you Ms. Zurawski!

Anonymous said...

wow, you must be so frustrated! I can't wait to see a post that says you are there!

Anonymous said...

Awww I'm sorry Dizana :( Sending huge hugs and good airplane flying vibes your way. Maybe it was a sign that you should take more pictures of New York for those of us who have never gone to the East Coast?? *hint hint* lol

I say, if you don't get that flight Wednesday, you impersonate a pilot and fly it yourself

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow dude! Could you jump through any more hoops! I agree with you though...that going through all that does show just how important this trip is...good for you guys :0) It will all be worth it in the end, keep that positive attitude! I'm so proud of my cuz. Looking forward to further updates.
loves & big hugs